UK Import Regulations

uk flag
Country Code+44
Time Difference-8 Hours (GMT+1)
PortBristol, Liverpool, Southampton
Shipping Line---
CurrencyPound sterling
DocumentsIdentification proof

Shipping Port

Shipping ports in UK are Bristol, Liverpool, Southampton, Newcastle and Tilbury.

Right-Hand Drive Vehicles

UK is Right Hand Drive country and can import any steering Left Hand Drive or Right Hand Drive.


Japanese used cars must pass the Single Vehicle Approval (SVA) or Individual Vehicle Approval (IVA) Test in order to ensure that the vehicle meets safety standards when used on public roads.
To check vehicle's road-worthiness, compulsory inspection MOT (Ministry Of Transport) is carried out by a Government approved testing center. Every year, vehicles go through MOT test after third year since the vehicle first registration. .

Import Duties and Taxes:

  • Duty: 10% on used cars
    22% on pick-up and commercial vehicles
  • VAT: 17.5%
  • Ownership tax on passenger cars and commercial vehicles based on CO2 emission and weight and axles respectively.

Documents Required to Clear Custom:

  • Bill of Lading (BOL)
  • Purchasing Invoice from the supplier to show the owner of the vehicle.
  • Deregistration Certificate.
  • Original Identification proof.
  • Trader's Unique Reference Number (TURN) for Commercial Importers.

Conditions When Importer Does not Have to Pay Duty or VAT

1. Moving back to the UK
  • The importer has had his home outside the UK for at-least a year.
  • The vehicle must be possessed and used by the importer for at-least 6 months before it is imported.
  • Taxes or duty must be payed by the importer while buying the vehicle.
  • The vehicle must be use for personal work for at-least a year after it is imported.
2. Importing previously exported vehicle
  • Vehicle must be exported within last 3 years only.
  • Vehicle must not be tampered except necessary repairing.
3. Non-EU registered vehicles
  • The importer should be a non-EU resident.
  • The importer should not sell, lend the vehicle in EU.
  • Use it for personal use only and re-export it after 6 months.

For Registering a Used Car in UK

1. Test on vehicles depending on their age
  • Vehicles below 3 years old should pass SVA/ESVA Test only.
  • Vehicles between 3 years and 10 years should pass SVA/ESVA Test along with MOT Test.
  • Vehicles with age more than 10 years should pass MOT Test only.
2. To register a used vehicle fill the V55/5 form and send it along with the following documents to DVLA
  • Documents to confirm name such as birth certificate, driving license, passport.
  • Documents to confirm address such as Utility bill, Council tax bill.
  • Motor insurance from a British company.
  • Cost of vehicle tax.
  • Vehicle registration fee.
  • Deregistration Certificate.
  • MOT certificate.
  • Proof of customs clearance.
  • SVA/IVA as vehicle imported from outside the EU.
Favourite Vehicles