Used vehicles imported to Fiji are subjected to carry foreign pests and diseases that possess great threat to country's biodiversity and environment. Thus it is mandatory to inspect the used vehicle imported Fiji. Importation of only those vehicles is allowed in Fiji, which are free from unwanted pests.
Destination port where imported vehicles are shipped is Port Suva. There are two ways for vehicle shipping; one can import a vehicle using RoRo (Roll-on Roll-off) method, which is an economical and most popular method, or can go for an expensive shipping method, container method.
Used vehicles imported to Fiji are subjected to carry foreign pests and diseases that possess great threat to country’s biodiversity and environment. Thus, it is mandatory to inspect the used vehicle imported Fiji. Importation of only those vehicles is allowed in Fiji, which are free from unwanted pests.
Customs Duty and Taxes
- Vehicles exceeding 2500 cc but not exceeding 3000 cc are levied $7500 per vehicle.
- Vehicles exceeding 3000 cc are levied $20,000 per vehicle.
- Duty rate- 32% of the invoice value
- Excise Duty- 15%
- VAT- 15%
- $7 for permission for each trip with an unregistered vehicle to importer's residence or LTA office.
Documents Required for Customs Clearance
- The quarantine/agriculture clearance.
- Invoice receipt showing total price paid and date of purchase.
- De-registration Certificate.
- Invoice showing export costs.
- Invoice showing freight costs and insurance to Fiji.
- Bill Of Lading.
- Odometer reading at time of sale for export to Fiji.
- Odometer reading at time of importation into Fiji.
Generally vehicle arrival papers are provided to importers around the time the vehicle is imported. Sometimes Customs brokers assist importers for clearance of vehicles. In case, importers are doing all the formalities by themselves, it is advised to make an appointment with local customs office.
Requirements at the Time of Vehicle Delivery
- Arrange an agricultural clearance for the vehicle through the Quarantine Section of Biosecurity Authority of Fiji
- Arrange for a Customs clearance.
Note: No concession on duty is provided on importation of used vehicles, unless the used vehicle is imported by diplomats, personnel or other persons or bodies who are entitled to duty concessions.
The imported vehicle after Customs clearance should be taken to Lands Transport Authority (LTA) agent for inspection and a compliance audit for certification for registration.
Documents required for vehicle registration
- Copy of the Bill Of Lading (BOL).
- Paid and certified copy of the Single Administration Document (SAD green copy)
- De-registration certificate