Afghanistan does not have any port of its own, thus vehicles are shipped through Karachi.
Left-Hand Drive Vehicles
Importation of left-hand drive vehicles is permitted in the country.
Documents Required for Import Customs Clearance
- Original license for the vehicle
- Original sell contract (if the vehicle is not owned by the shipper)
- Passport copy
- Bill of Lading
- Original certificate of title and Registration
- Tax exemption form (diplomats)
- Request letter for customs clearance permission to Ministry of Foreign Affairs and Ministry of Finance
- Note Verbale (memo letter) from the Embassy / NGO organization (diplomatic status)
Duty and Taxes
Vehicles are taxed at between 10 and 16 percent, according to model and year. Trucks and buses are taxed at a rate of 2.5 percent. Diplomats are exempted of paying duties and taxes.